Why do I need a placement undergraduate?
- They are intelligent, enthusiastic, keen and hard working.
- They can assist with management, administration and many other significant or routine tasks.
- They can help with short or long-term projects.
- Their language skills can help you to develop export markets .
- Projects for which no-one else has time can be perfect for placement undergraduates.
- They can research new business opportunities.
- They will add a youthful and international dimension to your business.
How can I use a student for a longer term project or role?
- Using our simple ‘Rolling Program’ we can supply students to fill roles for as long as you require. Placement students have traditionally been used for temporary work or projects because a placement is typically around 6 months in duration . However, a simple overlap system means they can be used for longer term projects. This is called our “Rolling Program”. We recruit a second student for you to take over from the first with an overlap. This overlap allows for the 1st student to help train the 2nd, and so on, providing continuity for as long as you require.
Why are they looking for a placement with me?
- They usually need to carry out a placement in order to complete their course and obtain their qualifications.
- They want good quality, relevant training and business experience.
- They want to exercise and develop their language skills.
- They want to experience UK culture and business methods.
Is my company suitable?
Almost certainly YES.
Some undergraduates want to work in small local business, others in large international corporations. Some will prefer services, whilst others may like engineering, or manufacturing, and so on. There are so many undergraduates looking for placements that we are confident we can find ones interested in working for you – whatever your business. All you need to do is provide a reasonable environment, provide appropriate training, and ask them to carry out tasks that are suited to their course, intellect and experience (and that are legal and decent!).
Placement UK has clients from many business sectors including:
Advertising, Call centres, Charities, Design Technology, E-commerce, Financial services, Furniture, Glass manufacture, Human Resources, Information Technology, Logistics, Management services, Marketing, Public Relations, Telecommunications, Tourism, Training, Waste management, etc. etc.
Placement UK students fill a wide variety of posts including:
Administrator, Charity Fundraiser, Clerical Officer, Commercial Administrator, Computer Network Support, Database Developer, Export Sales Assistant, HR Officer, Marketing Assistant, Office Manager, Personal Assistant, Public Relations Executive, Purchasing Assistant, Quality Systems Administrator, Research Assistant, Sales Advisor, Sales Administrator, Trainer, Transport Assistant, Website Designer, etc. etc.
These lists are growing constantly, so whatever your requirement, please contact us. We welcome all new opportunities.
Most manual jobs such as: bar work, farm work, shelf-stacking, driving, labouring, building, cleaning, bed making, call centre work, commission-only sales, modelling or promotional work, etc.
If you are looking for slaves or cheap sweatshop labour, sorry – we can’t help you!
What service does Placement UK provide?
- We have many years of experience in dealing with placement undergraduates
- We have established relationships with all the best universities and top private business schools throughout the UK & Europe
- We personally interview and vet candidates prior to submitting their applications to you – saving you lots of time
- We can ensure you have a seamless, year-round, and perpetual supply of students that are right for you, and that even help train each other so that your input is minimal
- We fully understand the student’s requirements, and can guide you
- We will sort out all the administration and paperwork
- We can advise you in all aspects of training, motivating and managing them
- We will charge you just a tiny fraction of the cost of employing someone to do it in-house
- In short, we have the experience and expertise to manage the whole recruitment process in the most professional, co-ordinated, and cost-effective way.
How does it work?
- We find out the sort of work you need doing, and the essential facts about your company
- We select the most suitable universities and private business schools to recruit from
- We promote your opportunity to undergraduates (via our web site and email), and then select for you a choice of students who: A) have specifically applied, so are interested in doing a placement with you; and B) fit your requirements
- We personally interview all candidates by telephone
- We let YOU interview and choose the candidate that you want
- We sort out all the paperwork and administration
- We ensure the student knows where to go and who to contact at your company
- We take care of everything in order to make life as simple as possible for you
- We arrange for the recruitment of a replacement student to carry on the work of his predecessor if required
- We can therefore ensure a perpetual supply of students who can train each other
What does it cost?
- A placement fee is payable to Placement UK when we successfully place a student with you. You pay a deposit and final payment. It equates to £249 per month of the placement (for a 6m or 12m placement). The initial deposit is refundable if we fail to present suitable candidates.
- If we do not place a student with you there is no fee.
- There is a training allowance that you need to pay to the student. The size of this is actually up to you. We recommend that you pay sufficient to allow the undergraduate to cover the cost of accommodation, subsistence and travel to and from work.
- Typical training allowances are around £600 to £800 per month (maybe more in high cost of living areas such as London) . It depends on your requirements, the role, your location, and your generosity!
- All-in-all it is highly cost-effective.
What do I pay the student?
The size of the training allowance is actually up to you. We recommend that you pay sufficient to allow the undergraduate to cover the cost of accommodation, subsistence, and travel to and from work.
Typical training allowances are around £600 to £800 per month (maybe more in high cost of living areas such as London) . It depends on your requirements, the role, your location, and your generosity!
Normally there are no NI, PAYE, or minimum wage considerations: Students of British Universities and EU students, students under the Erasmus+ and Leonardo Da Vinci schemes, and students on the Youth Inaction Programme, do not qualify for the UK National Minimum Wage.
What are the timescales?
From your first instructions it is possible to have an undergraduate with you in as little as 2-3 weeks, although 1 to 3 months is more common.
Alternatively, we can time events to fit in with your requirements.
Generally, the more notice we have the better for you, the student, and us.
I’m not receiving emails from you. What might be happening?
Make sure that our emails end up in your inbox and not in your bulk or junk folders by adding firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book or trusted-sender list.