This week we would like to introduce you to one of the UK’s most exciting cities. Manchester has grown massively the past few decades and today is one of the top locations to live in. We don’t know if it the people, the atmosphere or the tones of different activities but there is definitely something about this city. Below, we have chosen the top ten reasons why we would choose Manchester for a placement year, but you will definitely discover your own once you get there.
1. Manchester is the 3rd best student city in the UK, following London and Edinburgh, according to QS Best Student Cities Index of 2015. The city is home to more than 70.000 students and the University of Manchester is ranked 33rd in the University World ranking tables.
2. In the past few years, the city has become a how to spot of hipster culture in the UK. You can find industrial hubs, which are now known for their bars, restaurants, canal-side beer gardens and vintage shops; not forgetting every kind of retro and second hand fashion shop.
3. Manchester’s Trafford Centre is the UK’s second largest shopping centre by retail size. It has Europe’s largest food court in The Orient and the UK’s busiest cinema, attracting more than 28,500 visitors each week. We promise you, you can get lost in there but you will love it.
4. Manchester is easily accessible for everyone. You can fly directly to Manchester Airport from any European country or use the train from any city in the UK. You will also find that it is very easy to travel around the city once you are there. The city of Manchester is the least car dependent city in the United Kingdom with 243 cars for every 1000 people so both the bus and tram networks are top notch!
5. In 2012, Manchester was ranked the fifth best sports city in the world by the Sport Business Group ‘Ultimate Sports Cities’ report. This is very easy to believe if you consider that the city’s two football clubs have won 24 titles, 16 FA cups and five European trophies. Get your gym kit on, we’re going to be active!
6. Manchester is home to the 3rd largest Chinatown in Europe; whether you want to go grocery shopping or try out the different restaurants, Chinatown will offer you a unique experience.
7. Manchester has the right kind of attitude. It is a city with a past that has been a centre for movements and ideals such as universal suffrage, female suffrage, the Co-operative movement, Communism and Chartism. No matter what your ideas are you can expand on them in Manchester.
8. The city offers one of the best nightlife and clubbing experiences in the UK and Europe. You can choose between ‘The Northern Quarter’ and ‘Oxford Road’ if you are looking for great bars and clubs with a laid back vibe or head to Deansgate Locks; a row of swanky chain bars housed in converted railway arches.
9. Manchester’s economy is growing at unstoppable rate. The creative and digital industry in Manchester is considerable and continues to help drive the local economy, ensuring they can recruit and retain some of the best talent around. This is especially prevalent in the film and TV sector, with MediaCity and the BBC, ITV, Red Productions and Nine Lives Media. Manchester is also the only global internet exchange hub outside London.
10. Manchester’s most uplifting experiences is its’ unique gay village. The Village has a long history but today is a clean and bright setting with plenty of bars and clubs that gives it a vibrant atmosphere.
Manchester is the place to be whether you are a fashionista, a sports lover or an arts addict. You have things to do all year around and we can promise you will not regret choosing Manchester for your placement year.